- Faculty / Staff
If your visitor only needs wi-fi access, you do not need a Guest NetID. Please see our information on the UNR-Guest Wireless Network.
Many departments on campus bring in Visiting Scholars or Affiliates to complete research or assist with University projects.
These users are not in the HR databases, and therefore do not automatically get assigned a NetID.
Obtaining a Guest NetID for Users with a Social Security Number
The department the visitor is working with must enter them into the Workday system as an Affiliate or Volunteer for compliance and licensing reasons.
- Affiliates are visitors who are already covered for liability by their home institution or organization.
- Volunteers are visitors doing work for the university and have liability coverage paid for by the university during the period they are doing work. Departments sponsoring volunteers must submit a completed UNR Volunteer Packet to BCN HR.
Once the department enters a visitor in Workday, the visitor will receive an email with instructions to activate their NetID. As soon as their NetID is activated, the visitor can use it to log in on campus computers and will have wireless internet access.
Obtaining a Guest NetID for Users Without a Social Security Number
If a visitor does not have a Social Security Number, they are unable to be registered in Workday. In order for these users to receive guest NetIDs the department must complete an Application for Computing Resources. For auditing purposes, a detailed description of the work the person will be doing that requires a NetID is required on the form.
- Be as specific as possible when filling out the application.
- Instead of putting “research” as the reason, put “Researching different traffic patterns in urban environments."
NetIDs grant user’s access to licensed software and products that cost the University money per user. Detailed descriptions of the use of the NetID will help us verify proper authentication and use when the user accounts get audited.
Where to send the completed Application for Computing Resources
Once you have completed the form, there are multiple ways to submit it to OIT.
- The form can be faxed to (775) 784-4399
- The form can be delivered to the OIT Support Center Computing Help Desk located on the 2nd floor of the Mathewson-IGT Knowledge Center.
Once the form is submitted, it will be sent to OIT Management for approval, and the account will be created. The visitor is usually notified via their personal email that the account is ready for activation.
What if the Volunteer is Under 18 years old?
The BCN Volunteers website has specific guidelines and regulations for departments hosting visitors who are minors.