Accessing a Shared Mailbox on Outlook 2016 or 2019
- Faculty / Staff
The following instructions will assist you in mapping a shared mailbox into Outlook 2016 or 2019. If you switch to a different computer, you will need to follow this process again. The shared mailbox is mapped into the Outlook application, not to your email account.
These instructions were created in Outlook 2016, but may also be used for Outlook 2019.
Accessing Shared Mailboxes in Outlook 2016 or 2019
- Open Outlook and click on the File tab in the upper-left hand corner.
- Click on the Account Settings button and select Account Settings...
- Under the email tab, click on the Change button.
- In the lower-right hand corner of the window, click on the More Settings... button.
- Under the Advanced tab, click on the Add button in the section marked Mailboxes.
- The Add Mailbox window will appear. Enter in the name of the shared mailbox and click OK.
- This will take you back to the advanced tab. Click on the Apply button.
- It will take a moment for the mailbox to be added. Once the process has finished, click on the Ok button.
- This will take you back to the change email screen. Click on Next button in the bottom of the screen.
- The next window will confirm that everything has been added correctly. Click on the Finish button.
- Close the Account Settings Window.
- You will now see your shared mailbox on the left hand side of the screen.
Sending from the Shared Mailbox
This process only needs to be completed the first time you attempt to send from the shared mailbox.
- From the Outlook home tab, click on New Email.
- In the New Message window, click on the Options tab and then click on the From button.
- In the New Message, you will now see the From option. Click on the From option and then click on Other E-mail Address...
- Enter in the name of the email address you would like to send from and then click on OK.
- Now when you click on the From option, you will see the email address of the shared mailbox listed.
If you have any issues adding or sending from Shared Mailboxes, please contact the OIT Support Center.