Cached Exchange Mode
- Faculty / Staff
When you set up your mail profile in Outlook 2013 -2016, some of your messages and the address book are cached (stored locally on your computer) by default so that Outlook can retrieve the information quicker. This cache can sometimes hinder the performance of Outlook. The program will be slower to process changes in the Global Address List, or will be unable to find certain emails when you search for them. If you are experiencing any of these issues, follow the instructions below to turn off Cached Exchange Mode.
These instructions are for Outlook 2016, but are also applicable to Outlook 2013.
Turning Off Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook?
- Open Outlook, and from the tabs at the top click on File.
- Select the Account Settings drop down menu and then click on the Account Settings options.
- From the Account Settings double click on your email address.
- Under the Offline Settings header in the Change Account window, uncheck the box next to Use Cached Exchange Mode and then click Next.
- You will see a pop-up window reminding you that the changes won't take effect until you restart outlook. Click OK.
- The final window will confirm that the change was completed successfully. Click Finish.
If you have any issues changing settings in Outlook, please contact the OIT Support Center.