Lists are configurable tables that can be used to present data in an easy-to-read format. Lists can be used to store contact information, inventory items, or anything for which you may normally use a spreadsheet.
How do I Create a List?
- From the Settings Menu (Gear icon) in the top right hand corner of your screen, and select Site contents.
- From the + New menu on the left hand side of the screen, select List.
- The Create List menu will appear. Fill in the following information:
Name: Name the list
Description: Enter in a synopsis of the information in the list.
Once you have filled in all the required fields, click on Create.
- Click on the Settings Menu (Gear icon) in the top right hand corner of your screen, and select List Settings.
- Under the Columns heading, click on Create column.
- A new window will appear. Fill out the following information:
Column name: Whatever you would like the column to be named.
Type of Column: Choose from the list of available options .
Description: What kind of data will be contained in the column.
Require that this column contains information: Select Yes or No.
Enforce unique values: Select Yes or No.
Default Value: Select either text or Calculated Value.
- When all of the information has been filled in, click on OK.
- If you navigate to your list, you will now see the column that you created.
- Repeat the Column creation process until you have the number of desired columns.
- To change the order of the columns, click on All Items and select Edit Current View.
- Select the order that you would like to view the columns. Once completed, click on OK at the top of the page.
How do I Add an Item to a List?
- To add an item to the list, open up the list and click on + New.
- A window will open, fill in the needed information for the list. Once all the fields have been completed click on Save.
- Your new item will now be added to the list.
If you have any issues with lists in SharePoint, please contact the OIT Support Center.