- Faculty / Staff
Folder Redirection is automatically provided to faculty and staff for Windows-based computers managed by the Office of Information Technology.
Folders commonly stored on the C:\ drive of your local computer, such as Desktop and My Documents, are stored on the STORAGE server. Access to folders on STORAGE is secured by NetID and all folders are backed up nightly by OIT.
What Will I See if I Use Folder Redirection?
Folder Redirection on Windows-based machines executes transparently at computer start-up. You shouldn't detect any difference in computer operation after Folder Redirection is implemented. Desktop icons and My Computer icons remain unchanged and available. You can continue to save to your local Documents folder, and it will automatically get backed up to STORAGE.
Advantages of using Folder Redirection
- Folder Redirection separates user data, such as personalized desktop shortcuts and documents, from user profile data which is a record of data that configures the your environment. A profile record can include display settings, application settings, and network connections. This separation of function typically results in a decrease in login time.
- Data stored on the STORAGE is backed up nightly as part of the routine system management. The data are safer and service requires no action on the part of the user. The STORAGE page details related to back-ups and emergency restores.
- When users log on to other computers within the UNR network, familiar desktop icons and work-related documents are available.
- In the event of a computer malfunction, vandalism or theft; faculty or staff members can be returned to productivity in a shorter time because work-related documents and desktop configurations are not impacted. Data loss is significantly reduced.
Things to Note When Using Folder Redirection
- The initial restart after folder redirection is configured and activated will take a longer than normal because local files in the redirected folders are copied to the STORAGE at that time.
- Software is installed on individual computers. Desktop icons (shortcuts) related to the standard software such as Microsoft Office will usually be available on other machines within the network. Specialty software with a desktop icon installed on the user’s machine may not be available on other computers.
- Data stored on STORAGE are not available in the event of a network failure. Network failures are extremely rare.
- Home access to data stored on STORAGE is only available through a VPN connection.
If you have any questions about Folder Redirection, please contact the OIT Support Center.