Personal Computer Hardware Specifications
- Faculty / Staff
For personalized recommendations related to special software or hardware requirements that remain compatible with the University’s networking environment, please contact the OIT Support Center. They will open a work order and advise you on the hardware that will best suit your needs.
- For personal purchases, the Nevada Wolf Shop in the ASUN Bookstore is the University’s licensed re-seller for hardware. They have special educational discounts with vendors.
- OIT Support is available for consultation and an evaluation of computing needs prior to purchases.
What are the recommended hardware specifications for PC?
- A quad-core processor (Intel i5) is the minimum recommended processor for Laptop/Notebooks and Desktop computers.
- The Intel i7 processor is preferred.
- RAM is the working memory of your computer. The higher the RAM, the more multi-tasking the computer can do.
For 64-bit Operating systems:
- 8GB minimum, 16GB preferred.
- OIT currently recommends a 256 GB SSD (Solid State Drive) for better OS and software performance.
- Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit is the preferred Operating System for PC.
Wireless Network Card
- 802.11 b/g/n wireless card is recommended for all Laptop/Notebooks and Tablets.
What are the recommended hardware specifications for Mac?
- 8GB minimum, 16GB preferred
- 256GB SSD (Solid State Drive)
- Apple OS X
Further Hardware Questions
- Please contact the OIT Support Center for further purchasing advice.
- The Office of Information Technology is unable to provide hardware support on personally owned computers.
- However, basic software troubleshooting is provided by the OIT Support Center.